Apple has now released iPadOS 15 to everyone, and with it, an incredible set of new features have made their way into the hands of iPad users. There’s a lot that Apple has packed into this release, and Readdle apps Spark, PDF Expert, Documents, Calendars, and Scanner Pro are all ready for iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 with a slew of new features and improvements. There are two things that we’ve been excited about here at Readdle — the Quick Note feature and the improvements to widgets on iPadOS 15.
For starters, you can now place your widgets anywhere on your home screen, right next to your favorite apps. This allows you to customize your screens to your liking. For example, you could have a 'work' screen with all work-related apps and widgets, a 'health & fitness' screen, a ‘music’ screen, and so on.
In addition to this, there’s a new larger size that Apple has introduced for widgets, allowing app developers to pack in more visible content and also offer customizable options. Along with the existing widget sizes of 1x1, 2x1, 2x2, there’s now a new 4x2 widget size available for apps to use. There doesn’t seem to be an official term for this new size — you can refer to them as big iPad widgets, large-sized widgets, extra-large, or XL-sized iPad widgets.
Read on to know how you can take advantage of these new improvements to widgets on your iPad.
How to Add Widgets Anywhere on iPad Home Screen
Previously on iPad, you could only add widgets to the Today View at the left of the home screen. Thankfully, Apple has changed this behavior. Here’s a simple guide that explains how to add widgets right next to your favorite apps.
- Press and hold down your finger anywhere on the iPad home screen.
- Once the app icons shaking in jiggle mode, tap the + button at the top left corner of the screen.
- Choose any of the suggested widgets, or browse through the list of apps to pick a specific app you want to add a widget from.
- Tap the Add Widget button, or manually drag & drop the widget onto the home screen.
- You can now move the widget anywhere on the iPad home screen, even switching between screens by dragging it to the left or right edges.
Now that we’ve learned how to add widgets anywhere on iPadOS 15, here’s how you can take advantage of the new larger widgets introduced by Apple in the latest release.
How to Add Larger Widgets Sizes on iPad
Not many apps have added support for the new large-sized widgets on iPad from day one, so your choices might be limited. Not if you use Readdle’s apps though — Documents, PDF Expert, Calendars and Spark have all been updated with support for these extra-large iPad widget sizes. Here’s how you can add these beautiful and content-rich iPad widgets to your home screen.
- Press & hold down anywhere on the iPad home screen till the app icons start jiggling.
- Tap the + button at the top-left of the screen.
- Tap on the app that you want to add a widget from.
- For this example, we’ll be adding a widget from Spark, a fantastic email app that supports these new large-sized widgets on iPadOS 15 in addition to these other awesome features.
- Swipe through the preview of available widgets, going from the small 1x1 size → to the medium 2x2 and 2x2 sizes → to the new larger 4x2 size.
- Tap on the Add Widget button to place the large-sized widget on your home screen. Optionally, you can also drag & drop the widget onto your home screen.
iPadOS 15 has shaped up to be a fantastic release for Readdle’s apps, and we’re excited to have shipped all these amazing features to you. Go ahead and download these apps to check out all the iPadOS 15 goodness we have in store for you.