TL;DR – Scanner Pro by Readdle brings a fresh new look, enhanced user experience, Text Vision to turn scans into text, and full-text search. This is the beginning of the new journey, and to support it, Scanner Pro becomes a free product with an optional premium upgrade.
Scanner Pro is Readdle’s powerful scanning app for iPhone and iPad. It's awarded “The Editors’ Choice” by Apple and has 9M downloads worldwide. Customers love the app for its speed, ease of use, and amazing scan quality. Scanner Pro created the whole category of digitizing paper on mobile back in 2009 and keeps innovating.
Today we’re excited to launch a new version of Scanner Pro (8th generation), the app’s biggest update in years. It’s time to apply the knowledge and experience we’ve acquired building other our products to take Scanner Pro and the entire document scanning category to a new level. This update is the first step in an exciting new journey, and there is more to come in 2021.
Get Scanner Pro now, and let’s see what’s new!
Better organization for your documents
Scanner Pro brings a modern new design to make organizing and working with documents easier and faster.
Our team has spent more than two years talking to hundreds of customers and redesigning the app from scratch. We’ve learned many of you use Scanner Pro not just for scanning but also for storing digital copies of paper documents: receipts, IDs, manuals, magazines, etc.
Access to important documents turned out to be one of the main values people get from Scanner Pro. That’s why we focused on improving the organization inside the app, making it a convenient place to work with scans.
We’ve made dozens of small changes that add up to improving your whole experience. Here are some of them:
- List view. Many of you have asked for it, and now you can view scans as a list.
- Faster access to search and folder creation. These options are always visible and one tap away.
- More sorting options. Sort scans by name, date created, or date modified.
Turn scans into text with Text Vision
Scanner Pro now automatically recognizes the text in all your scans, thanks to the new Text Vision feature.
How does Text Vision help you?
The downside of working with scans is that they don’t let you select and copy text.
If you need to reuse any info from a scan, you have to either retype it manually or use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to recognize the text. For example, in previous versions of Scanner Pro, you had to manually apply OCR on each scan.
With Text Vision, Scanner Pro automatically recognizes the texts of your scans in 26 languages, making it searchable and selectable. This lets you easily share a paragraph from a textbook to your note-taking app or copy any names or numbers from scanned receipts.
How to use Text Vision:
- Open a document and tap the Text button at the bottom right.
- Now, you can select the text on your scan as well as copy and share it.
- You can switch between the Document and Text tabs to view the scan either as the original PDF file or plain text.
To make sure Scanner Pro recognizes text automatically, open the app Settings > Text Recognition (OCR) and make sure the Automatic Text Recognition option is enabled.
Search through the text of your scans
Finally, you can search in the content of your scans, not just their titles. This is possible thanks to the new Text Vision that automatically turns all your scans into searchable PDFs.
Now, you can quickly find any document no matter how it’s named. This is especially helpful when most of your documents are called something like “Scan Nov 16 2020 at 5PM” or when you need to locate all the scans containing a specific word.
Just tap the search icon on the Scanner Pro home screen and type what you’re looking for.
You can also search inside a specific scan. Just open it, tap the search icon at the bottom left, and type your query.
Freemium business model
Scanner Pro becomes a free app, enabling everyone to create high-quality scans, organize, and share them with ease. Read a letter from our co-founder to learn more about this new chapter for Scanner Pro.
With the free Scanner Pro, you’ll enjoy:
- Best-in-class quality document scanning
- Ability to freely share documents (albeit with a Scanner Pro watermark)
- Sync between devices with iCloud
We’re also introducing an optional Scanner Pro Plus subscription that unlocks additional value:
- Watermark free scans
- Auto-upload scans to the cloud
- Smart workflows to save time
- Text Vision to turn scans into text
- Full-text search both in Scanner Pro and in shared PDFs
- Password-protection for both the app and any shared PDF
Scanner Pro Plus is priced at $19.99 a year to new customers, with a free 7-day trial that can be canceled anytime.
If you already bought Scanner Pro:
- You can still use all the features you had before without any limitations. They remain free for you forever.
- All the new Scanner Pro features added in version 8 and mentioned in this article are also free for you. These include the modern new design, Text Vision, and full-text search.
- However, some of the new capabilities we're going to add in the future might require a subscription.
Our team hopes you’ll enjoy the new version of Scanner Pro. This is just the beginning of the new journey, and there are more exciting updates to come in 2021.
Download Scanner Pro for free and share your thoughts in the comments!