Did you know that you can trim and edit any music or audio file on your iPhone or iPad? It doesn’t matter if it’s only a few seconds of audio that you want to trim, or an entire verse from a song. Documents by Readdle now ships with professional audio-editing features, allowing you to easily trim and edit audio files in no time. In this tutorial, we’ll learn how to trim music files so that you get to hear only your favorite parts, whenever you want.
How to trim music on iPhone and iPad
First, let us understand what trimming actually does to an audio file. When you trim an audio file, you are essentially deleting parts from the beginning or end of the file. Let’s take a song from a popular music artist, for example, which has a 15 second vocal intro that gets on your nerves. You can easily trim out that intro and save the edited song as a new file, so that you can always play the song without the vocal intro.
Here’s how you can instantly trim any music or audio file on your iPhone or iPad using Documents. For this tutorial, we’ll download a free sample file from pixabay.com/music, but you can also transfer your own music files from your Mac or PC or copy files that you have saved in other apps. Let’s begin!
- Get Documents from the App Store if you haven’t already and open the app.
- Tap on the ‘Browser’ tab at the bottom right and go to www.pixabay.com/music or any other website from where you can download music.
- Search for and download any music file on your iPhone or iPad. The files will be saved to the Inbox folder in Documents by default.
- Navigate to the file you’ve just saved, then tap on the three dots on the right.
- Tap on the ‘Edit Audio’ option.
- Drag the yellow markers to mark the Start point and End point of the audio you want to keep. You can also manually type in the Start and End points.
- Everything marked in red above will be trimmed and deleted. You can hit the play button to hear which part of the music will be retained.
- Once you’re happy with the marked section, tap on the Trim button to trim the music.
- Hit the Save button at the top right. You will be asked to choose a filename and the format in which you want to save the file.
That’s it! You just edited a music file and trimmed out unwanted parts from it, right on your iPhone or iPad.
The Trim feature and the rest of the audio-editing capabilities of Documents are part of the Documents Plus subscription. You can download Documents for Free from the App Store and try out these features with a complimentary 7-day trial, after which the subscription starts at just $9.99 a month.